Thursday, March 28, 2013

Ham and Cheese Scones with Photo Tutorial


BOTG - Breakfast On The Go or a key element in the equation of a busy life.

We're all told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I agree! I enjoy something for breakfast or brunch everyday. I really enjoyed my two previous recipes (Banana Maple Muffin Tippy Tops and Apple Cranberry Muffin Tippy Tops) so much that I ate them up quite quickly. haha It was time to try something different though. I was inspired, due to a recent baking adventure, to make scones. I had the idea for some savory Ham and Cheese scones to start the day with a cup o java. After a bit of looking around, this is what I came up with.



I am no expert in making scones, that I will admit. One thing I know that is key in successful scones is COLD butter. When the butter cooks it's what makes the delicious explosions inside the pastry. To get the best butter, I do the same thing for pie crust, I use a grater and butter RIGHT out of the fridge. Also, I place the butter in the freezer while I prepare the remaining ingredients. 

I managed to snap a few photos along the prep stages and then a lick your screen worthy photo of the scones from the inside. Delicious! 

Here's the recipe and the photo tutorial follows...

Ham and Cheese Scones
adapted from: CookingLight

Makes 1 dozen scones

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon fresh Basil
3 Tablespoons unsalted butter, grated
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup small ham cubes
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 large eggs whites

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400º and line baking sheets with parchment paper

1. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt and basil in a large bowl.
2. Add butter and blend with a pasty blender or a fork until well blended (see photo).
3. Add ham and cheese, mix with fork.
4. Combine buttermilk and egg whites, whisk well. Add to pastry mix and stir just until combined.
5. Turn dough onto a floured surface. The dough will be sticky, but no worries. It's supposed to be. Don't go crazy flouring it.
6. Form into a rectangle and cut in half and then into 12 triangles.
7. Place on prepared baking sheets and bake for 15-20 minutes until lightly browned.
8. Serve warm.


Whisk dry ingredients and basil.
Blend in that COLD butter.
Blend in the cheese. YUM!
Mix in the ham cubes.
Combine the buttermilk and egg whites with a whisk. Combine them with the dry ingredients and mix just until moist.
Turn dough onto a floured surface and shape into a rectangle.


Cut dough in half and then into 12 triangles. I used a pizza cutter.

Bake for 15-20 minutes at 400º
Look at that delicious scone! 

No comments: