Thursday, March 21, 2013

Basic French Toast and Baked Bacon


BACON! 

Who doesn't just love bacon? If you don't, I'm sorry. Bacon has to be one of my favorite things to eat. I don't often eat it, we all know it's not so good for us, but when I do I feel like I'm in heaven. haha What's even better than just bacon? A hearty breakfast of Bacon and French Toast. Give me a bottle of real Maple Syrup and I'm gone. Lost in some other land called foodie heaven. Yum!

As much as I love bacon, I've always hated cooking it. There is, to me, no mess like a bacon grease mess. It gets everywhere, on everything, and cleaning it up is not what I want to do after a healthy serving of breakfast. So, I was pleasantly (I smiled from EAR TO EAR) when I saw someone share this baking bacon trick on Pinterest. I would have never thought. I'm glad someone had this genius idea. It's the easiest way to cook bacon, ever! And the cleanup...rolling up the foil, tossing it in the trash and a quick clean of the pan(s). I can deal with that. Not to mention, the bacon comes out almost perfectly flat. See below. 

I use a half sheet cake pan that I stopped using for cakes. It works perfect.

Yum!

Go on, give it a go. The instructions are below.

In the case of breakfast this bacon needs a pairing. A simple French Toast is perfect! I usually just throw French Toast together, but I figured I'd write my basic recipe and share it. The French Toast pictured above was delicious but only in part to the mix it soaks in. For the first time I used Challah bread (thanks to my significant other for the brilliant idea) instead of Texas Toast. I will never go back to Texas Toast! The Challah bread is slightly sweet and a perfect consistency for French Toast. I recommend tracking it down (or making your own) for this breakfast dish. You won't be disappointed. 


Challah Bread. Look at that baby!


Both recipes are below. Enjoy!



Easy French Toast

Ingredients:

Challah Bread, sliced 3/4-1 inch thick
4 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
Butter
Maple Syrup

Directions:

1. In a medium shallow bowl combine, with a fork, all ingredients but the bread.
2. Soak the bread slices, flip it twice in the batter, one slice at a time.
3. Place 2-4 slices, depending on the size of pan, onto a buttered hot flat fry pan. 
4. Cook just a few minutes on each side until nice and golden brown.
5. Serve warm with butter and real maple syrup.

Baked Bacon

Items Needed:

1 pound bacon
large pan, or 2 9x13
aluminum foil

Directions:

Do NOT preheat oven.

1. Line pan(s) with aluminum foil.
2. Place bacon evenly in pan(s). There will be some overlapping, that's fine.
3. Place pan(s) in cool oven and heat to 400º for 15-20 minutes. *Keep a close eye on the bacon towards the end of cooking.
4. The result you will love! Flat, perfectly cooked bacon and little mess to clean up.

No comments: