Monday, August 16, 2010

Spiced Chocolate Chip Cookies


So it's been quite a busy week! It was my "roller coaster" week. The price I have to pay for having a weekend off. All that aside, I thought I wanted to just relax on my day off, but couldn't. Well I did relax but I had to bake something. I wanted to keep it simple, very simple. I decided to skim through The Art & Soul of Baking to see what I could find. I decided to do a cookie. Chocolate Chip Cookies.



I didn't have any nuts, sad I know, to put in so I added extra chocolate chips. I remembered I had a chocolate bar in the freezer that had some spice to it. :) I was saving it for some hot cocoa this fall/winter but I'm glad I added it to the cookies. Here's the bar I used...


I got this bar from work, but it has since been deleted. We still carry the sugar free version though. Ever since I watched "Chocolat" I've been dying to try a spiced chocolate. This bar was my answer and it was surprisingly good. Very different. But it has to be with something for me to truly enjoy it. 

In this recipe (below) I added an extra 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips because I didn't have chopped nuts to add. I may try to use a different spiced chocolate next time but if not I have decided I'm going to add some different sugar measurements and try some spices. I think I'm going to add some cinnamon and fresh ground nutmeg. Just to give them a little spin. :) 
I had some oven temperature problems (I did forget a pan or 2 in the oven too) when I baked these cookies so a good part of them got a little baked. But they are perfect for dipping in milk! I would just advise to pay attention to these while they are in the oven, they cook faster than the recipe says, even at proper temp. 


Here's the recipe from the book...

Chocolate Chip Cookies  [Printable Version]
MAKES ABOUT 60 COOKIES

Ingredients:

1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips 
1/2 cup chopped nuts, toasted and cooled (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 F and position oven rack in the center. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

2. Place the butter and both sugars in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on medium-low speed until smooth and blended, about 2 minutes. If you use a hand mixer you will need to beat the mixture a little longer to achieve the same smoothness. Scrape down the bowl with a spatula. Add the eggs one at a time and beat until just blended. Add the vanilla and blend well. Scrape down the bowl.

3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and add the flour mixture all at once. Blend until there are no more patches of flour. Scrape down the bowl. 

4. Add the chocolate and the chopped nuts and blend on low just until combined. Remove the bowl from the mixer and stir gently a few times to make sure all ingredients are incorporated. 

5. Using a small ice scream scoop or spoon, portion tablespoon-size mounds on the prepared baking sheets, space them about 2 inches apart. Bake the cookies one sheet at a time, rotating halfway through, for about 10-14 minutes. If you want crisper cookies allow to bake for a few more minutes. Allow cookies to cool completely before serving. 


No comments: