Sunday, March 3, 2013

Chocolate Drizzled Strawberry Cheesecake Squares



It was around Valenttine's Day when we, my Valentine and I, were out shopping and noticed some Chocolate Covered Strawberries and instantly started craving some. The next day on my first visit to a Whole Foods store we sampled some cheesecake. Even though I did love the cheesecake, I refused to pay their crazy price when I have a recipe that is just as tasty and costs WAY less.The store certainly left a good impression on me overall for many reasons. I swear it wasn't just the cheesecake sample that won me over! 


A photo from the first batch of squares.

I decided to surprise my Valentine with a take on Chocolate Covered Strawberries. The original plan was to make Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cheesecake Pops, but that didn't work so well. So, I just decided to drizzle the chocolate on the squares. Perfection! In short, that is the story that led to this post. What a post this is for me...


I've always loved be a little helper in the kitchen. I haven't always been camera shy...It's time for a change.
Around my little world and group of friends it's been mentioned numerous times that I should start a YouTube cooking show. I've been SO hesitant to do so. After much thought on my part and conversation with others, I've decided to start taking the steps to get there. It will still be a while before I do a full on show, but I really did enjoy making the following tutorial. That said, I'm still building the confidence to be on camera and record myself giving directions. Have you ever really listened to yourself on a video or audio recording? I think it's so odd, but I'm kind of loving it! 

The following tutorial is the FIRST I have ever done. It's not up to the standards I strive for, but I'm pretty happy with it overall. I have PLENTY to learn in this process and I hope you'll learn right along with me. One of the biggest things to learn is how to be more myself on camera and/or recording. Evoking the positive and fun emotions I have while cooking certainly doesn't pop through as I wish it had in this video. All said, I'm excited (slightly nervous) to share this video. This is just the start of bigger and better things here at Creandé. 



To make the cheesecake grab the recipes below and watch the video. There is also a picture tutorial below showing you how to turn the cheesecake into the squares. Have fun!


Graham Cracker Crust        [Printable Recipe]

yields 2 9" pie crust or one 9x13 glass dish.

Ingredients:

3 cups crumbled graham crackers (about 20 squares or 10 whole grahams)
2/3 cup sugar
12 Tablespoons better, melted

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350º

1. Crush graham crackers. 
2. While butter melts mix sugar into the graham crackers in a medium bowl.
3. Once butter has melted add it to the graham/sugar mixture. Mix with a fork until evenly combined.
4. Press into baking pan(s) or glass dish and bake for 7 minutes. Cool completely.



Strawberry Sauce        [Printable Recipe]

Ingredients:

15.5 ounce frozen strawberries, thawed
2 teaspoons Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon cold water

Directions:

1. Place thawed strawberries in a small saucepan and heat until simmer. 
2. Turn off burner and remove pan from heat. With a stick blender or regular blender…blend the strawberries until smooth.
3. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl.
4. Return strawberries to the saucepan and whisk in cornstarch/water mixture. 
5. Cook until thickened. 
6. Cool completely.



Simple Cheesecake        [Printable Recipe]

From: creande.com 

Recipe yields 2 cheesecakes or 1 9x13.

Ingredients:

  • 2 pre-made graham cracker pie shells or crust recipe (here)
  • 4 - 8 oz packages cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
  • 3 eggs, room temperature
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste 
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla
  • 3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour


Directions:

  1. Preheat one to 350 and have a pan of water in the oven…see note below.
  2. In the bowl of a mixer combine the cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and vanilla bean and beat until light and creamy. 
  3. Add the flour to the cream cheese mixture and beat until just smooth.
  4. Add the sour cream and beat until mixed well.
  5. Add eggs, one at a time, until just mixed.
  6. Pour the batter into prepared pie shells. 
  7. Bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes. switch oven rack halfway through. Cheesecakes are done when the center is almost set. If the cheesecake starts to crack, it IS done! Not over done, it will still be fine, but it shouldn't crack.
  8. Let the cheesecake cool completely and the refrigerate for at least 4 hours. As hard as it may be to not eat the cheesecakes when cool, they MUST cool in the refrigerator.

Chocolate Drizzled Strawberry Cheesecake Square Tutorial


Steps 1 & 2: Cut the 2 short ends of the cheesecake off. These are curved and won't sit when you try to drizzle them. But! Don't discard them...EAT THEM! haha After that cut the cheesecake into three segments. 

Steps 3&4: Take the cheesecake, a segment at a time, and cut it into two with a hot knife. To get the knife hot, run it under hot water and shake, easily, off the water. Do this after each cut.

Steps 5&6: Cut the segment into quarters and then into 12 pieces.
Step 7: Line the counter with parchment paper. Place squares on a cooling rack. Prepare chocolate.

Step 8: Melt chocolate (I used Wilton Candy Melts)  over a pan of water on low heat.

Step 9: Once the chocolate has melted with a spoon drizzle chocolate over the squares. You can chose to drizzle in an direction. 



No comments: