Friday, March 15, 2013

Gma D's Meatloaf w/ Creamy Lemon Pepper Quinoa and Aspargus

I've been putting a little (really not NEAR enough) work into putting together a family cookbook. I posted about this a while back and shared a family cookie recipe. You can find that post here. However, Life has certainly been busy my way and I've failed to do enough work on getting this cookbook together. It's time to change that! 

I'm starting the change right here and right now! Well, really it was a few nights ago that I started, but today is the day I share it. I hope to be working on the recipes, stories, photos, and the book overall in the coming months. I will share a few recipes here simply because I love this food and I want to spread the joy. I have such great memories to go along with the family recipes too. I grew up eating this food, what seemed to be, every Sunday at family lunch. I still love it to this day. 

One version of the book cover.
I've restarted my quest of the family cookbook with a hearty and delicious comfort food meal. I followed the recipe completely, but I added a little topping and delicious sides. Gma D's simple meatloaf was the perfect cold weather fixer comfort meal. It was so delicious I ate ALL of the plate I have photographed below. If you know me, that's out of the norm. It must have been good and I hungry. 



I have a few memories with this meatloaf but I have to say the first one that pops into my mind is not some great story. I can remember being very picky about meat growing up, I used to hate hamburger. One meat I could never fathom eating was deer. Not Bambi! I can't do it! Those were my thoughts and Im not ashamed to share them. (Side note: Curse you Disney for making me cry when I watched your movies! Pure torture. Haha) I just could never imagine eating deer meat. I vividly remember finishing an, as always, delicious Sunday dinner and being asked about the meal. I was asked how much I liked the meatloaf and if I noticed a difference...I was smart kid and knew where this was going after the difference question...then the bomb was dropped...I had eaten DEER MEAT! I completely blacked out and I don't remember a thing! I threw a terrible tantrum and cried for hours. Not Bambi!!

Okay, not really but that sounded like a good ending to the story. I do believe I made comment about Bambi, but it really wasn't all that dramatic. In the end, I enjoyed that meatloaf and that's what mattered. Sorry, Bambi. I have since learned to love some deer meat, but only in summer sausage form. Trust me, I can devour some deer summer sausage with cheddar and jalapeños. Yum! 

I think THIS is the face they got for making me eat deer meat. haha!
On to the recipes now that I've made you laugh, I hope at least a smile. A simple recipe and simple preparation. This isn't the best meatloaf on the planet but I thoroughly enjoyed it as a kid and I still love it to this day. You can't go wrong with a Grandma's cooking! The aroma of it baking brings back many memories of those Sunday lunches with the family. I hope you enjoy the recipe and create some everlasting memories of your own.

An added recipe for you to try is the Creamy Lemon Pepper Quinoa. DElicious! The Asparagus recipe can be found here.

Enjoy! 

























Gma D's Meatloaf       [Printable Recipe]

Yields: 1 meatloaf or 3 mini loaves

Meatloaf Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef
1 egg
1/3 cup quick oats
1/3 cup saltine crackers, crushed (I used Ritz)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup sliced green onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup milk

Optional Parmesan Topping:

1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
1/3 cup Panko Bread Crumbs

Directions:

1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl.
2. Form into a loaf or loaves and place into pan(s).
3. For the last 10 minutes of baking add the topping (simply mix both ingredients in a bowl) and finish cooking until crust is slightly browned.
4. Bake at 350º for 35-40 minutes.

Creamy Lemon Pepper Quinoa        [Printable Recipe]

Ingredients:

1 cup dry Quinoa, tricolor or regular
2 cups water
juice of 1 lemon
zest of 1 lemon
Pepper, fresh cracked is best
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions:

1. Prepare Quinoa as directed on the package except add the lemon juice with the water.
2. Once the quinoa starts to cook add pepper, to taste, and finish cooking.
3. When the quinoa is done, add the lemon zest and cream. Cook until slightly thickened.
4. Serve warm. This also reheats well and is even better tossed with some sautéed veggies.

No comments: