Monday, May 13, 2013

Candied Pecans



Oh nuts! Who doesn't just love nuts? They make almost everything better. Almost. 

Sometimes I just humor myself. I hope you at least smiled. :-) On a serious note, I love pecans, walnuts, cashews and so on. Pecans are by far my favorite. They can go in brownies, cookies, ice cream and they make a great snack all on their own. How can you not just love them? I know some people are allergic and some (I just don't get it) don't like nuts. Those of us that like/love them know what it's all about.

Anywho, back to the reason I bring you this post today. Candied Pecans. I use Candied Pecans in a few different recipes. Most recently I've used them in a super scrumptious ice cream I created. Browned Butter Candied Pecan Ice Cream (photo below). They also make great toppings for a salad and a perfect sweet snack. 


A bonus tip! When adding nuts to a recipe, especially baking, roast them in the oven or toast them in a sauté pan for just a few minutes. Doing so will bring out a more pronounced flavor and aroma from the release of essential oils. When baked into cookies, brownies, or whatever your heart desires they have an added crunch. Perfection, guaranteed!

To candy pecans or whatever nut you choose is quite simple so don't be intimidated. The recipe along with pictures to show just how simple it is can be found below. Give them a go! I promise you won't be disappointed.

As always, feel free to leave comment and let me know how they turn out! Ciao for now!


Use whole or coarsely chopped pecans.

Melt butter, add brown sugar and cook until sugar is almost dissolved. Add pecans.

Once the sugar has dissolved and pecans are coated evenly, place on parchment paper.
Cool completely.




Candied Pecans

Ingredients:

1 cup whole or coarsely chopped pecans or nut of choice
3 Tablespoon butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar

Directions:

1. Melt butter in a saute pan and add brown sugar.
2. Once the sugar has almost dissolved, add the pecans.
3. Cook until pecans are evenly coated and sugar has dissolved.
4. Cool on parchment paper. When they are cool, break them apart and enjoy. 

No comments: