Friday, January 27, 2012

Triple Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies



Chocolate Chip Cookies are my enemy! Well, that was until I changed just a few things in the classic Nestle recipe. They still aren't my perfect idea of a Chocolate Chip Cookies, but they are almost there!. 


There is something about Chocolate Chip Cookies that I just don't do right or I don't have the right recipe. I can never get them to bake just the way I want them to. I want a cookie that is thick and chewy in the middle and a slight crunch on the outside edge. I can never get it! 

Any ideas what I can do to get my ideal cookie? Please leave comments if so. :-D

*Side Note: I think part of the success this time was that I actually got the butter and sugars to the right "light and creamy" consistency!*

This recipe came about from a  craving I got one night for some Chocolate Chip Cookies. The only issue I was facing was all I had were white and milk chocolate chips. I figured the combination of those chips and all the sugar was going to be far too sweet. SO! I had the idea of adding in some Cocoa Powder. I followed the directions on the container and added the oil to the Cocoa Powder. Once it was combined I set it to the side until I was ready to add it to the batter. This simple addition just gave that little extra chocolate taste, but still left the cookie just sweet enough. 

Now, I'm not a huge Chocolate Chip Cookie fan, but sometime I just GET that CRAVING. These cookies on the other hand have become a favorite. Let's just say this batch made it to the freezer so I could have them anytime I wanted to just grab one. 

Correction…the cookies that were left from this batch made it to the freezer. ;-)

Here's the recipe via Nestle with my adjustments made. Enjoy! 







Triple Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies     [Printable Version]

adapted from Original Nestle Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients:

  • 2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 dark brown sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 large eggs
  • 3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 Tablespoon oil
  • 1 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
  • 1 cup White Chocolate Chips
  • 1 cup chopped pecans

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 and line cookies sheets with parchment paper.
  2. In a mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until blended.
  3. In a small bowl mix together the cocoa powder and oil until combined. 
  4. In the bowl of a mixer beat the butter and sugars until light and creamy. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each. Add the vanilla. 
  5. Mix in the cocoa powder/oil mixture.
  6. Slowly add the flour mixture only mixing until combined, do NOT over mix.
  7. By hand mix in the chocolate chips and nuts.
  8. With a tablespoon cookie scoop drop cookies onto prepared sheets and bake for 9-11 minutes. Cool on pans for a few minutes and transfer to cooling racks.

No comments: