Saturday, June 25, 2011

Single Serving: Roasted Cauliflower & Carrots

Here it is! The first Single Serving post!



I decided a few months ago that it was time for me to step out on my own and really dig deep into the person I am. I also really felt it was time to go for what it is that I want in this life, time to make my dreams a reality at least to some degree. 

With this recent choice to live on my own I had the idea of creating or modifying recipes for one. While I love to cook I, like many other single people, was worried about cooking too much. I'm not a fan of left overs, really depends on what it is I guess. For the first few weeks I was stuck on just having sandwiches, salad, or pasta. I do have to say this is a simple way to make a tasty pasta dish for one: toss half a cup dry pasta in some water, after it cooks toss in some pesto (grab a small jar from the store, it stays well in the fridge) add some cheese and enjoy! Each of these meals worked well, but I was ready for something NEW!

Since I've been a vacation this week it's a been a bit easier to get some recipes lined up and try a few things. I've been stuck watching Food Network a few days thanks to Mother Nature and the apparent need for all the rain! In a way, I'm glad I relaxed and watched some TV. I got a few great ideas and scrumptious recipes. 

Roasted Cauliflower & Carrots - no cheese.
The main dish I bring today was inspired by Ina Garten of Barefoot Contessa. Sometimes I'm just in love with what she brings to the table and this recipe seemed like a perfect option. I've always been more of a vegetable person when it comes to choosing what to eat. In the episode Ina was making a meal for her and a friend. While the whole meal looked great the Parmesan-Roadted Broccoli stood out to me. I didn't have an broccoli so I decided that the Cauliflower and Carrots that I did have would work just fine. You can see the original recipe here and my version is below. It was quite aromatic when it was cooking, trust me! Also, let me just say it was hard to take the time to photograph instead of just digging my fork in!

Roasted Cauliflower & Carrots - 3 Cheese Blend

Roasted Cauliflower & Carrots         [Printable Recipe]
adapted from Ina Garten Parmesan-Roasted Broccoli



Ingredients:

  • 2 cups cauliflower
  • 1 cup baby carrots
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup 3 cheese blend
  • 1 Tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
  • Salt and Pepper to tast

Direction:

  • Preheat oven to 425 degrees
  • Cut cauliflower into desired size of florets.
  • Place cauliflower and carrots on a baking sheet.
  • Add 2 T olive oil, garlic, and salt/pepper to the vegetables and toss to coat.
  • Roast for 20-25 minutes or until cauliflower starts to brown and caramelize.
  • Remove from the oven and immediately toss 1 T olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, cheese, and dill.
  • Serve hot.


I do need to note that this recipe may leave you with a little left over, but it would reheat well. 

And so there it is! A quick and tasty meal for one. Give it a try and remember, Cooking can be simple and fun even it's just for one! 


Next post for Single Serving will be Blueberry Crumble! Here's a sneak peak...


No comments: