Thursday, June 30, 2011

Single Serving: Blueberry Crumble


Time for another Single Serving recipe!






After my plans for vacation changed I decided to kick off my time by going to the lake for the weekend and spending time with some of my family. I had decided before I went that I wanted to try and eat a little better while I was there. I didn't want to eat your typical camping food like hot dogs, hamburgers, and all that other not so good for you food. When we hit the grocery I did manage to get some healthy foods. I went with fresh fruits (I managed to pick the best cantaloupe I've ever eaten, blueberries, and strawberries to name a few) and vegetables (Portabella caps to grill, fresh guacamole, and salad). Somehow with all that fresh good for you food, I still managed to snack on some not so healthy foods my family picked up. What can I say, I love food. ;-)

The rain ended up putting a bit of a damper on plans to stay at the lake. I did however manage to get some good photos while I was up there in between rain showers, you can see those in a previous post here. Since it decided to rain I cut the trip a little short and was home early on Sunday. Waiting for me when I arrived back home was the newest issue of bon appetit. After a quick look through I came across a Blueberry Crumble Pie recipe and I realized that I had some left over blueberries from the trip! It really worked out perfect that I had just enough left to make a few Blueberry Crumbles in ramekins (homemade pie crust and I do not get along, I need a little practice). I thought it would work out just perfect with the Roasted Cauliflower & Carrots so I got to recalculating the recipe and made quite the meal that evening.

The recipe I have below actually makes two ramekins. You could simply cut the recipe in half to get just one, a Single Serving. I wanted to use all the blueberries I had so it worked out perfect for me to cut the pie recipe in half, almost. I, for the most part, just cut the recipe ingredients in half. One thing I found, after the first few bites was that it was a bit tart. The recipe below accommodates for that and I reduced the amount of lemon juice. Another thing to keep in mind is how tart or sweet the blueberries are. Be sure to try a few blueberries and adjust the sugar accordingly. 


I took the second Blueberry Crumble and added some Vanilla Bean Ice Cream!


Here it is in all it's simplicity…

Blueberry Crumble         [Printable Recipe]


Ingredients:

   Filling:

  • 2 cups fresh blueberries
  • 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
  • 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel

   Crumble:

  • 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 Tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • pinch of salt
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, melted, slightly cooled

Directions:

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Combine filling ingredients in a medium bowl and stir until well mixed. Let stand for at least 30 minutes, stir occasionally.
  3. While filling sits whisk together four, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt.
  4. Mix melted butter into flour mixture with fingers until crumble is formed.
  5. After blueberry filling has set, fill ramekins evenly and top with crumble. 
  6. Bake until filling is bubbling and topping is golden, about 30 minutes.
  7. Let cool and enjoy. Top with Vanilla Ice Cream for something a little extra. 


1 comment:

David said...

This looks great! I am definitely going to make this. Since I just picked 10 pounds of blueberries I have plenty to spare!