Sunday, June 19, 2011

On This Side: Photography - Weekend at the Lake


A glimpse into my weekend away at the lake...



I think I'll start a new post series called On This Side. The name comes from a project I was working on for myself, a digital book. Along with cooking I enjoy painting, sketching, writing, and photography. While I've been working on the digital book of poetry for years now, maybe this is how it was all meant to play out. So without any more rambling, here's the first On This Side post...


........




I decided for this post I would show another love of mine, Photography. While I'm not a professional and these photos aren't my best, I wanted to share a few pictures and stories from my weekend and my childhood.

After a busy Friday arriving at the lake my family and I decided to go swimming. None of use had been in years and we were all a little excited about getting in the water and splashing around like kids. That short hour we spent at the pool was a blast. It was kind of like the old days when we used to do things as a family. There aren't many of those times these days with all that is adult life. I am incredibly thankful for the moments that we do spend together. As we left the pool we decided to go back on Saturday, but Mother Nature had another plan in store. However, her plans led to a nice walk by myself and a few nice photos of her beauty. Enjoy! (click the images to see the enlarged versions)


I decided while taking a moment to sit on the beach to take a panorama of the lake. While this isn't the best I think it's a decent shot. And yes, the clouds on the left were rain. I ran to hide from the rain in the trees there and got the next shots from there. 


Secret.

I think this is probably one of my favorite photos from the walk. This canoe was just kind of hiding right out of the water. A few more photos follow. I was inspired by it hiding out of sight, Secret.





Through the green, there is a lake.

Sunkiss'd

After my stop at the lake and the rain decided to lighten up I went for a nice walk down by the dam. I was actually a little brave and took a risk and walked out into the water, on the lower part of the dam, with my phone to take some pictures. Here's what I cam up with.

A Natural Staircase.
This was a tree and you see what remains. It serves as the steps to walk down to the dam and the river that runs by. 

Taking the step.
This was the point I decided to take a step on the brave side and walk on the slippery dam to get a few shots. But before those shots I have to share a picture of the rocks, love the natural variety in the photo. 

Natural Variety.

Man made meets Nature.







I snapped this shot up on a path next to the river and got eaten alive by the mosquitoes! Took a few more while I was up there but because I was trying to fight of the bugs, they turned out blurry.

2.
On my way back to the campsite I stopped by the lake again. My first time around I tried to get a shot of these two, but they just didn't want their picture taken. I snapped this on my way back, wish I could've gotten closer. 

............






I just had to share this picture because I remembered we still had all these toys from when we were kids. These days we are all stuck on our phones and computers, which isn't bad I guess. I thought about this box as the theme for my weekend was to take a step back to the years passed. While these toys don't look crazy exciting today, I remember they were the entertainment back in the day. 

............


In the end I'm glad that Mother Nature had some other plans in store and that I got to walk. To close the post I'll share two more photos that I took on my drive up to the lake. (No I did not take these while driving. I stopped and took the photos.)






Thanks for stopping by! 



* I was going to watermark the photos, but I think it distracts from the photo. If you wish to use them please credit me and let me know. Thanks!

2 comments:

David said...

Great post! Like you, I’m not a professional photographer but I love taking photos, editing, etc. These are really great pictures! I love the canoe pic. Great composition. I have also thought about watermarking my pictures. Unfortunately it really does distract from the photo. I recently decided to change the size of my pictures before uploading. I figure, at least if they’re lower resolution people will be less likely to snag them. But who knows.

Thanks for sharing! :D

Chadi said...

Thanks! I have a good amount of photos, maybe I'll share them here someday. :-) Watermarking does take away too much from the picture. I like the idea of adding the lower resolution photos! I'll have to do that, thanks! The canoe photo is my favorite I took that day. :-) Thanks again!!