Wednesday, July 6, 2011

4 Easy Appetizer Recipes!

Welcome to A "House" Warming Party!

It took me almost 2 months to finally have my "house" (apartment) warming party, but I think it all worked out well. ! stressed for a week or so about the menu but I did come up with some great recipes. I couldn't have pulled the menu off without my best friend Stephanie's help because, well, we just kick a$$ in the kitchen. My aunt helped us as well, she came up with a few good suggestions when we couldn't decide. ;-)


Let's start with savory…

I got this recipe from the KitchenAid booklet that came with my mixer. I decided to alter the recipe just a bit and I'm glad I did. I actually made two versions of the tartlet. The recipe is for a Mushroom-Onion Tartlet, which I made with the addition of a 1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon and 3 Italian Cheese Blend instead of Swiss Cheese. I also made a Broccoli and Sharp Cheddar version. 


Mushroom-Onion Tartlets          [Printable Recipe]
adapted from KitchenAid

Makes: 24 tartlets

Ingredients:

  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, divided and softened
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon flour

  • 8 oz fresh mushroom, diced
  • 1/2 cup green onions
  • 1/4 cup Cabernet Sauvignon
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 cup 3 Italian cheese blend

Directions:
  1. In the bowl of a mixer combine the cream cheese and 2 T butter. Mix until until smooth and combined.
  2. Add the 3/4 cup flour and mix until dough forms. *You may need finish mixing by hand.
  3. Form the dough, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour. *I found it easiest to form the dough into a roll so you could just slice it into 24 pieces, after it cools.
  4. Melt 1 T butter in skillet, add mushrooms and onions. Cook until tender and then add the Cabernet Sauvignon and reduce. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
  5. While the mushroom mixture cools, slice the chilled dough into 24 pieces. Place each piece in the miniature muffin cup. *The dough doesn't need to be too thick, it gets pretty firm when it cooks to support the filling.
  6. In the bowl of a mixer combine the egg, 1 T flour, and thyme until combined. Scrape down the bowl. Stir in the cooled mushroom mixture and the cheese. Once mixed, spoon the filling into the prepared dough. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Changing shelves halfway through. Serve warm.




Broccoli & Cheese Tartlets          [Printable Recipe]
adapted from KitchenAid

Makes: 24 tartlets

Ingredients:

  • 4 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 3 Tablespoons butter, divided and softened
  • 3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon flour

  • 8 oz fresh broccoli, cut florets off and branching stem
  • 1/2 cup green onions
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
  1. In the bowl of a mixer combine the cream cheese and 2 T butter. Mix until until smooth and combined.
  2. Add the 3/4 cup flour and mix until dough forms. *You may need finish mixing by hand.
  3. Form the dough, cover, and chill for at least 1 hour. *I found it easiest to form the dough into a roll so you could just slice it into 24 pieces, after it cools.
  4. Melt 1 T butter in skillet, add broccoli and onions. Cook until tender. Allow the mixture to cool slightly.
  5. While the broccoli mixture cools, slice the chilled dough into 24 pieces. Place each piece in the miniature muffin cup. *The dough doesn't need to be too thick, it gets pretty firm when it cooks to support the filling.
  6. In the bowl of a mixer combine the egg, 1 T flour, and thyme until combined. Scrape down the bowl. Stir in the cooled broccoli mixture and the cheese. Once mixed, spoon the filling into the prepared dough. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. Changing shelves halfway through. Serve warm.


And then there was, of course, some sweet snacks...




    
Berry Blossoms          [Printable Recipe]
makes 24 mini blossoms

Ingredients:

  • 16 oz frozen mixed berries
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
  • 24 wonton wrappers
  • egg wash/water
  • sugar for dusting wontons

Directions:

  1. Combine mixed berries and sugar in a saucepan and cook until bubbly. Add the cornstarch and cook until thickened. Cool.
  2. Puree the mixture to make it as smooth as possible. 
  3. Place the filling into the refrigerator while you prepare the wonton wrappers.
  4. Using the egg wash/water brush one side of each wonton then sprinkle with sugar. 
  5. Place, sugar side up, each wonton into a mini muffin pan. 
  6. Repeat. Then bake for 8-10 minutes. Cool.
  7. Fill each cup with berry mixture and top with fresh whipped cream.


New England Whoopie Pies


I've made my share of Whoopie Pies but I hadn't made the traditional version. I decided to look up some recipes and I went with the one you can find here. After I had baked and cooled a few I had to try the cake itself, disappointed. I didn't think it had enough chocolate flavor. I decided that I could give them a little something extra...I melted some chocolate chips and butter (1 1/4 cup chips and 1/2 cup butter) and I glazed each inside of the whoopie pie and let them set. I then iced one side with the filling and made the pie. SUPER YUM!

By the end of the evening almost all of this food was gone. Think it's safe to say, it was all pretty tasty!

No comments: