Sunday, November 7, 2010

Cranberry White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies

COOKIES! 





I LOVE cookies but baking certain ones just doesn't work for me. Chocolate Chip being one of those. I can never get them to bake just like I want. They always turn out flat and wrinkled. Now, they still taste great but most of the enjoyment is from eating a thick crunchy edge, soft center cookie. I NEVER get that!

I've been craving cookies lately and finally had the time to make some. I didn't want to go with a traditional cookie. Store bought cookies can slightly cure my craving but fresh out the oven cookies are the BEST! I decided on making these Cranberry White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies. I would have much rather used real white chocolate, which I just bought for the next batch, instead of using the Premier White Morsels which have NO chocolate in them. What!?!

I have attached the recipe I used which didn't exactly work for me but maybe you could make some changes and share you story in the comments below! I found the recipe to buttery. Too much butter, what? :) And like I said the cookies just went flat and wrinkled.

After I baked these and they didn't turn out like I wanted I decided to do some research. I found an awesome article here that taught me a few things and a few secrets! I will be using that recipe next time and the things I learned. I will alter it to make White Chocolate Cranberry Cookies instead of Chocolate Chip. I will however make Chocolate Chip sometime soon. Again, I LOVE cookies!

Here's the recipe I used this time:


Cranberry White Chocolate Macadamia Cookies v. 1    [Printable Recipe]
Adapted from Alton Browns The Chewy (Chocolate Chip Cookies)

2 sticks unsalted butter
2 1/4 cups bread flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups brown sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Cup White Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Dried Cranberries
1/2 Cup Chopped & Roasted Macadamia Nuts


Heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Melt the butter in a heavy-bottom medium saucepan over low heat.

Sift together the flour, salt, and baking soda and set aside.

Pour the melted butter in the mixer's work bowl. Add the sugar and brown sugar. Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed.

Add the egg, yolk, 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.

Slowly incorporate the flour mixture until thoroughly combined.

Stir in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough, then scoop onto parchment-lined baking sheets,
6 cookies per sheet.

Bake for 14 minutes or until golden brown, checking the cookies after 5 minutes.

Rotate the baking sheet for even browning.

Cool completely and store in an airtight container.

1 comment:

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets said...

I love white chocolate macadamia nut cookies though I know a lot of people who find them too sweet. Sorry this recipe wasn't the best for ya.