Tuesday, November 23, 2010

UPDATE! Pumpkin Whoopie Pies

     These Pumpkin Whoopie Pies have been an amazing dessert that people just can NOT get enough of! I've made them 5-6 times since I did the original post. The first batch was the best until I made them again the other day. I decided to do an update on the recipe and post because I found a few tricks and adjustments that need to be made due to different ingredients. Here's what I've come up with...






     For the second to the fifth batches of these lovely pies I couldn't figure out what the difference was. They were still very tasty but they were different in consistency and texture. I had tried different amounts of flour and added an extra few tablespoons of pumpkin but, I couldn't quite figure it out. Finally, one day while walking our back room at work I passed a case of the Organic Pumpkin I used for the first batch and it hit me like a can to the head. The PUMPKIN was different! I felt rather stupid that I couldn't figure that little difference out. I had used Libby's canned pumpkin for all the other batches and I don't know why, but it did make a huge difference in the final product. When I made this last batch for an order I decided to change up a few things in the recipe since I still had Libby's Pumpkin to use. First I decided to cut back on the flour. Original recipe has 3 1/2 cups. And second I decided to add a little extra oil. There were also some adjustments made in the Directions. Below I have made the adjustments in bold letters. 


     Another difference in this recipe was the ginger. A week or so ago I made some Ginger Cookies and had to hit the grocery store for some ginger and came across an organic ginger. I was a little nervous to spend the $6 plus dollars on this jar, but I am SO glad that I did. The cookies turned out perfect but I didn't really notice how much better the flavor was until I tried a whoopie pie with this new ginger. They had an extra pop of spice and it was perfect! This batch was the best I've made and I will continue to make them this way and I will definitely continue to buy the ginger pictured below. Now, you don't have to have this ginger to still have great whoopie pies, but I'm telling ya, you would really love the difference!



These Whoopie Pies have been in some serious demand. I caution those who want to add these to the Thanksgiving menu this year. People will be begging for them ALL the time! But, I say ADD them to the menu! You'll be the talk of the dinner. :) 

I plan on, sometime soon, making a Gingerbread version of the Whoopie Pie! I'm pretty dang excited to test that one out!

Here's the recipe, updated. 



Pumpkin Whoopie Pies        [Printable Recipe]
Recipe make just over a 2 dozen whoopie pies


Ingredients

  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 15 oz can solid pack pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour, spoon and level each cup
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • dash of nutmeg

Filling

  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla
  • 3 - 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoon sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
  2. Combine the oil and brown sugar. Mix in the pumpkin, eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla beating well. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Mix well. Let batter sit for at least 5 minutes.
  3. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons (I find a 1-2 tablespoon cookie scoop works perfect) onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 8-10 minutes. Let cookies cool for a bout 2 minutes before removing from the pan. Allow to cool completely, then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whipped Cream Cheese Filling.
  4. To make Whipped Cream Cheese Filling: Cream butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth. Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time and beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese frosting. Put the filling into a decorating bag to pipe onto the whoopee pie.

1 comment:

Xiaolu said...

Wow that's quite an endorsement. And I can't resist the flavor of pumpkin sweets. Sounds like a win-win situation.