Friday, November 12, 2010

Easy Yet Delicious Pot Roast & Roasted Red Potatoes




"When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste."  -Laiko Bahrs










I started the post today with a quote because I feel it describes the way I've been feeling lately. 

When it comes to baking, you MUST pay attention to directions. Whether it's pre-sifted flour or measured then sifted, or whether you "dip n scoop" or spoon flour, and the list could go on. I've learned through a few recipes how true this quote is. Remember these cupcakes and how they turned out extra dry because of one simple mistake? I dumped flour in the measuring cup rather than "dip n scoop" or spooning. Baking is all about the chemical balance in the ingredients. 

Now, when it comes to cooking, go with how you FEEL. This quote has really come into play for me with the last meal I prepared. I searched around looking at a few different Pot Roast recipes. I decided nothing was exactly what I was looking for. One recipe seared the meat before roasting, but had too many ingredients and seasoning. Another recipe had canned soup in it, but I liked a few of the seasonings and the simple approach. In the end I decided to go with what I was FEELING. I wanted this roast to be simple but I didn't want it to lack flavor. I wanted to have a few ingredients but not anything overpowering. I wanted it to be a balanced meal with the potatoes on the side.  Sometimes a simple approach isn't enough, but in this case it was perfect! 

For this recipe I selected an English Roast that I got from a local butcher. I decided not to put potatoes in this recipe because I always do that when I make a roast. I've never been great at making oven roasted potatoes so I decided to give myself a little challenge. I ended up pulling the recipe out of of the wonderful aroma in the kitchen. I decided to share seasonings between the roast and the potatoes while adding a little something different to the potatoes. I have to say that I think these were the BEST roasted potatoes I've had. Tooting my own horn here but I totally rocked this dinner! I thought I would be nice and share what I came up with. Now the recipe for the potatoes is gonna be all about what your taste buds want. I don't remember exact measurements because I just kinda did a lil of this and a lil of that. Here are the recipes! Enjoy!





Easy Yet Delicious Pot Roast                    [Printable Recipe]

Prep Time:     20 min
Cook Time:    3 hr
Serving:         4-6


Ingredients:

  • 1 3-4 lb boneless beef roast
  • 2 tsp Salt
  • 1 tsp Ground Pepper
  • 1 tsp Garlic Powder
  • All-Purpose Flour
  • Good Olive Oil
  • 3 Cloves Garlic - crushed
  • 2 Bay Leaves
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • 1 Beef Bouillon Cube
  • 2 cups of water
  • 1 small bag Baby Carrots
  • 1 medium Yellow Onion
  • 1 6 oz package Sliced Portobello Mushrooms - diced
  • 6 oz Frozen Corn


Directions:
  1. Turn Slow Cooker to High and add the 2 cups water and bouillon.
  2. In a small bowl combine the 2 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Pepper, 1 tsp Garlic Powder. Set aside.
  3. In a larger bowl or glass dish put a shallow layer of all-purpose flour. Set aside.
  4. Pat the beef roast with a paper towel. Season the roast with the salt mixture. Rub the entire roast. Dredge the seasoned roast in the flour. Again, covering the entire roast. 
  5. Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add the roast and brown on each side for 4-5 minutes.
  6. Add the roast and dripping to the slow cooker.
  7. Add the garlic, carrots, onion, and bay leaves to the roast. Salt and pepper to taste.
  8. The last 45-60 minutes of cooking add the portobello mushrooms and corn.
  9. Remove the roast and bay leaves. Discard the bay leaves. Cut the roast to your liking and return to cooker.
  10. Serve warm with your choice of side or over mashed potatoes. (Roasted Red Potatoes pictured)







Oven Roasted Red Potatoes                     [Printable Recipe]

Prep Time:     10 min
Cook Time:    35-45 min
Serving:         2 


Ingredients:

  • 6-8 small-medium red potatoes
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Pepper
  • 1 tsp Onion Powder
  • 2 pinches of Thyme
  • Good Olive Oil 


Directions:
  1. Wash the potatoes and set aside.
  2. Using a medium bowl add salt, pepper, onion powder, and thyme. Slightly mix the ingredients together.
  3. Cut the potatoes to your liking. 
  4. Add the potatoes to the bowl of seasoning. 
  5. Coat well with olive oil. You will want a little extra to insure the pan is oiled well.
  6. Bake at 450 for 35-45 minutes.