Thursday, August 19, 2010

My Take On Carrot Cake [with recipes]



Tonight I finally have a chance to sit and tell the story of My Take On Carrot Cake, which has become kind of a tradition to make every August. Now, it's only been a tradition for 3 years, but still it's something I will never complain about. There are two reasons, I LOVE CARROT CAKE! and it's for a birthday. Not your traditional birthday cake I know, but why not! :) 




I think that making this carrot cake in August just kinda slowly ends the Summer and blends it into the Fall for me. The aroma of putting this cake together and then letting it bake sends me to a peaceful state of mind. Fall is, by far, my favorite time of the year. It's the season with so much color, the brisk air, and best of all the scents of the season! As soon as I opened all these spices and starting grinding the nutmeg, I lost it! I know I may be a nut for getting all worked up over some scents, but I can't help it. One place I love to be and always, well almost always, have a relaxing time is in the kitchen.


I guess my carrot cake isn't the typical carrot cake, or so I'm told. I don't add pineapple, coconut, or raisins. I prefer to just leave it a little more simple I guess. I do, however, use extra nuts and carrots. Now I'm a firm believe in the fact that everything happens for a reason. After making this cake, I believe even more. As I was preparing this cake everything was going smoothly up until I went to grate the carrots. Why? Well that's when I realized I STILL hadn't picked up a new grater. I decided to throw out my old grater because it was cheap and bent. Oops! So I improvised and just used the vegetable peeler and chopped the peeled carrot a bit. Having said that, I'm glad I did throw out the grater and I don't have a new one.  The reason I'm glad is because not having the carrots so fine has made, in my opinion, a better carrot cake. I like the look that it gives the cake and I like the little extra texture you get. I won't go through so much trouble next time because I will have a grater, but I will be sure to watch how I grate the carrot. For the topping I obviously used cream cheese frosting. Which I think I made a little sweet, but it still all works really well together. I do have to say all-in-all this cake was absolutely wonderful and I'm glad that there is still some left! :)


Happy Baking to all! And let's bring on the Fall! haha


My Take on Carrot Cake         [Printable Recipe]

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
3 large eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 1/2 - 3 cups grated carrot
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans or walnuts, lightly toasted

Line 3 (9-inch) round cakepans with wax paper; lightly grease and flour wax paper. Set pans aside.
Stir together first 5 ingredients.
Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating at low speed until blended. Fold in carrot and chopped nuts. Pour batter into prepared cakepans.
Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle Buttermilk Glaze evenly over layers; cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks. Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake.

Cream Cheese Frosting        [Printable Recipe]

16 oz       Cream Cheese, softened to room temperature
3/4 C       Butter or Margarine, softened to room temperature
2 1/2 C    Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 tsp  Pure Vanilla Extract

Beat first 3 ingredients at medium speed until creamy. Add powdered sugar and vanilla; beat until smooth. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ok you know how i am with nuts in stuff but even this looks incredible, rich and wonderful. boy i hope people find you quick and snag up every opportunity to utilize your services and request you to bake them some traditions!!
all my love auntie m