Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Beef Stroganoff w Browned Butter Garlic Mashed Potatoes


Pinterest. I’m addicted! I’m sure most everyone knows what I mean. If you don’t know Pinterest, you must check it out. I have yet to share much of my own posting, but that’s because I’m lost in ALL that there is to see on the site.

I bring up Pinterest because it’s the inspiration or at least the link to this post and recipe. I’m always looking in the food section on Pinterest and I’ve found numerous things I’d like to make. With cool weather looming for a few days recently when I saw Beef Stroganoff I thought it would be perfect. The cool weather always gets me in the mood for nice warm comfort food. That night Beef Stroganoff and Pumpkin Whoopie Pies hit that spot perfectly.

This isn't the best photo, sorry. I was a little excited to devour. 


When I found the recipe, I wasn’t sure I was going to follow it (I didn’t) but I knew I needed it to give me at least some guideline (which I didn’t end up needing). So, I guess I just needed the recipe and picture for inspiration. ;-)

I had planned on serving the dish with noodles and mashed potatoes to keep it simple. Well, as I started to prep the potatoes I realized I should make them extra delicious. I went with Browned Butter Garlic Potatoes. Perfect. All together the dish came together and it was perfect with a little Fleur de Sel sprinkled on top.

Here’s the recipe for both my take on Beef Stroganoff and Browned Butter Garlic Mashed Potatoes.

Enough sitting and reading…Go COOK! :-D

Beef Stroganoff 

Ingredients:

2 1/2 lbs Beef Stew Meat
1 cup Flour
3 Tbs Olive Oil
1 lb Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup Red Wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
1 Onion, large
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/4 tsp White Pepper
2 cups Beef Stock
2 cloves Garlic
1/2 tsp Garlic Salt
5.3 oz Greek Yogurt
Noodles or Rice 

Directions:

Turn the slow cooker on low. This recipe needs to cook for 7-8 hours on slow or 4-5 on high.

1. Heat the Olive Oil in a large skillet.
2. In a large bowl pour the flour (flavor with salt and pepper if desired) and add the meat to coat.
3. Cook the coated beef in the heated skillet in 2-3 batches. 
4. Once the Beef is cooked place the sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms in the skillet. Cook until most of the moisture is cooked out. Add the wine and sauté until wine is reduced to half.
5. Meanwhile, add the Beef, Beef Stock, Onion, Salt, Peppers, Garlic and Garlic salt to the crockpot.
6. Once the Mushrooms have cooked store them in the refrigerator. They will be added the last 30 minutes of cooking.
7. Just before serving add the Greek Yogurt and mix well.
8. Serve over noodles or rice. Enjoy.


Browned Butter Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Ingredients:

3 large Russet Potatoes
4 Tbs Butter
1 Clove Garlic, large
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp fresh Ground Black Pepper
1/2 cup Sour Cream

Directions:

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil.
2. Cut potatoes into quarters and then slice.
3. Add salt and potatoes to boiling water. Cook until tender.
4. While potatoes cook put butter in a saucepan and brown. Be careful to watch as it can burn.
5. Once the butter has browned, add the diced garlic.
6. Strain potatoes and place in a large bowl with all ingredients and mash with a handheld mixer.
7. Serve and enjoy!



No comments: