Friday, August 31, 2012

Candy: Gummiecube




Candy! I want candy!

These words occasionally (Ok…often!), run though my mind. When I came across this picture (via bakerella) I’m pretty sure my mouth started watering. If there’s one thing that keeps me a kid at heart, it’s candy. You can’t look at that picture and NOT want candy, right?

That photo and post lead to what I thought was going to be a splendid new journey of me making candy…here’s what happened.




I’m no stranger to making candy. Through the years I’ve done my share of making molded chocolate, chocolate suckers, and simple flavored sugar treats. What was new for me in this adventure was making gummy candy. One of my favorite candies growing up was Sour Gummy Worms/Caterpillars. This picture misled me to think they were going to be sour. However, I wanted them regardless, so I tried. Tried being the key word.

I say tried because while they turned out, they weren’t Gum Drop consistency. If you’re anything like me, consistency and texture are a BIG deal. The outside had a slight crunch but the center was like a really soft gummy worm. I just couldn’t like the combination. I think it was the cooking of the sugar/gelatin mixture that messed these little treats up. I’ve only used gelatin a few times in my cooking days so I’m a little inexperienced. In fact, until it was brought to my attention I didn’t know what gelatin was made from. While I’m still on the fence about how I feel about it, I’ll share my findings.

**Skip the next paragraph if you want to continue to eat food that contains gelatin without a second thought. It’s not so appetizing, this information.**

Read more information here: http://www.madehow.com/Volume-5/Gelatin.html#b Gelatin is a protein substance derived from collagen, a natural protein present in the tendons, ligaments, and tissues of mammals.

I decided to do a little research once I had heard a few people tell me what they thought gelatin was made of. Even after learning I’m still unsure just how I feel about it. I will say that I wouldn’t mind trying some of the alternatives/substitutes of gelatin.

Now, with this knowledge I’m slightly disgusted by gelatin and then I stop and think…I’ve been eating this stuff for years! In one hand that makes me even more disgusted but in another I wouldn’t think twice about devouring some Gum Drops or Gummy Worms.

Anywho, there’s a tad bit of knowledge for you.

When I started making these little candies I thought there were going to be really simple. I’m not sure why I thought this. Maybe it was the small list of ingredients. While they weren’t some insanely hard task, they were a little work. The 25 minutes of stirring is what was killer. Constant stirring for 25 minutes is not a thrilling time. In all honesty I think it was my impatience that led to the weird texture in the candy. I think I should have let the mixture come to a boil BEFORE I start the 25 minutes countdown. Lesson learned.

Here are a few step-by-step photos I snapped.



I decided to line my pans with aluminum foil so I wouldn’t have to worry about cutting into my pans. I sprayed the foil.



I pulled the candy off of the foil and placed it on a cutting board. I used a large knife to cut the candy by running it under hot water after 2 cuts.



In a medium bowl I put some sugar and tossed a few cubes in at a time. I then placed the cubes in pans lined with wax paper and let them set for 2 days.

To use this recipe follow the link with the top photo. I didn’t alter the recipe other than flavoring. I used Apple and Orange flavoring. If you use McCormick flavoring I suggest upping the amount you put it. I used that on the Orange gummies and the flavor just wasn’t strong enough for me. It’s up to your personal taste, however.

So there it is. There is my first attempt at making gummies candy. I’m still not sure if I’ll try it again, we’ll see. If I do, I’ll be sure to share. If you decide to tackle this recipe let me know how it went! Let me comments here on the blog. Also, if you have any suggestions with candy making, feel free to leave those in the comments as well.

See you again soon!

-Chad D.

1 comment:

David said...

Well they look yummy! I think I should be your taste-tester. :)