Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Ginger Cookies


Over the past few years I've been making these cookies and I haven't shared them on here yet. I was shocked when I realized I hadn't! 



I came across these when I was looking for some new cookie recipes to add to the already great collection of Holiday baking. My family, Grandma(s) and Mom, always get together and bake cookies and sweet treats to hand out to the family and/or local friends. It's a great time and I'm glad that I get to be a part of it. Over the past few years it's been a little more difficult for us to all get together and bake cookies, but we've managed to do so even if it's just for a few hours.

While these cookies have yet to make it into the collection, they are phenomenal. I bake them a handful of times over the last few months of the year. They have been a huge hit! I just made my first batch of the year and I can't wait to make them again.

Here are the details…

I have not altered this recipes at all. They turned out so good I figured there was no point in changing them. There are two things I do different than the recipe…1) I do not roll all the cookies in the sugar. I leave some plain for more of that ginger snap cookie feel. 2) I don't make them giant. I use a tablespoon scoop and just roll them into a ball. I'm not against the giant cookie, but they are just perfect in the smaller form. 

Here's the recipe and my simple description. Enjoy!



These cookies offer intense flavor with balanced spice. Their sturdy crunchy base and soft chewy center are near cookie perfection. Taking a bite of these is a full pleasure you'll want to keep to yourself. 

Ginger Cookies
recipe from BHG 100 Best Cookies

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 cups shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses
3/4 cup coarse sugar 

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine first 6 ingredients and whisk until combined. Set aside
3. In the bowl of a mixer beat the shortening until softened. Add the sugar and beat until well combined.
4. Beat in the eggs and molasses until well combined.
5. Beat in half of the flour mixture just until combined. Stir, by hand, the remaining flour mixture.
6. Using a 1/4 cup ice cream scoop, shape the dough into a ball and roll in the coarse sugar.
7. Place on prepared pans 2 1/2 inches apart.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Do NOT over bake or the cookies will not be chewy.



No comments: