Friday, October 1, 2010

The Star Chicken Pot Pie




I decided to title this "The Star Chicken Pot Pie" because I knew it would be the best I've had. :)




This cool Fall weather has REALLY got me in the cooking mood. I've not had much time to cook but what I have managed to make has been absolutely delicious! The other day I just put on my iPod and started cooking away. I managed to be in the kitchen for a good few hours. I tried two recipes that were both new to me. I've always loved chicken pot pie, but I'm not big on the ones you can buy in the freezer section. After making the one I did the other day I don't think I'll ever have pre-made pot pie again. It took some time, as do most delicious foods, but it was well worth the work. I did cheat a little bit on this one because I bought pre-made pie crust from the diary dpt. I know, horrible! Next time I will make the crust from scratch, but the store bought worked just fine. The recipe I based my pies off of was good, but I wanted it to be even better!

TIPS:

- I boiled the chicken and then diced in into small cubes. 

- While the chicken cooked I cleaned and cut the fresh veggies that I used. 

- I got all the ingredients out and ready while I waited for the chicken as well. Wanted to be all set so I could just get things a cookin!

- Really pay attention when adding the flour to make the paste. Whisk vigorously!

- Make sure to do the ice bath for the pan after your filling is done cooking. It has to be cool before going into the pan. It could melt the dough when you place it on top of the pan.

- get creative! I used ramekins and a pie pan instead of just a pie pan. I also added a star design to each pie. I cut those by hand but cookie cutters would work great!

And now to the recipe:


The Star Chicken Pot Pie    [Printable Recipe]
         one deep dish 9 in pie


9in Pie Dough
1 stick unsalted butter
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
6 Tablespoons unbleached all-purpose flour
5 cups low sodium chicken stock
1/2 cup carrot, peeled and diced
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
8 ounces sliced mushroom
1 teaspoon minced garlic
1-2 pounds chicken, cooked and diced
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn
1 teaspoon dried thyme 
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
   Salt
   Fresh Ground Black Pepper
1 large egg yolk
2 Tablespoons milk or cream

  • Preheat the oven to 375.
  • Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and cook stirring occasionally, about 5-7 minutes. 
  • Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the flour. Whisk vigorously until the flour is blended well.
  • Return the pan to heat and cook for 2-3 minutes whisking constantly. Do NOT let the flour brown!
  • Remove the pan from heat and add about 1 cup of the chicken stock. Whisk until mixture is smooth and paste like. It is important to get ALL lumps out at this point.
  • Whisk in the remaining stock.
  • Return to heat and cook until boiling. Whisking constantly.
  • Add the carrots and cook 5 minutes. Turn off heat.
  • In a saute pan, heat the olive oil. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook until golden brown, 10-12 minutes. Stirring every 2-3 minutes. 
  • Add the mushrooms, chicken, peas, corn, thyme, parsley, and rosemary to the filling mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Fill a bowl halfway with cold water and ice. Set the pan of filling mixture in the ice bath. Stir occasionally.
  • When filling is cool scrape into pie pan.
  • Brush the edge of the pie pan with water. Top the pan with the dough. Crimp he edge of the crust to form a border. 
  • In a small bowl beat the egg yolk and milk or cream. Brush the dough to lightly glaze the top.
  • At this point add your creative touch to the top with the extra dough, if desired. Brush with the egg mixture. 
  • Bake for 40-45 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
  • Cool for 15 minutes.

   - leftovers can be kept refrigerated up to 4 days.






No comments: