Saturday, September 18, 2010

Where's all the pumpkin?!


I don't know if I can explain enough about my love for pumpkin. I love pumpkin pie, muffins, and now cupcakes just to name a few treats. Pumpkin is another part of ringing in Fall for me. You can't have Fall without Pumpkin and it's spice spicy companions. I thought I was at my brink of excitement when that Carrot Cake was cooking but I was wrong. When these cupies started baking I can't even explain how happy I was. The house smelled amazing. The spices just filled the house with a smell no Autumn candle can match.


These pumpkin cupcakes were for my hair stylist and her mom. They had a horrible story about pumpkin muffins so I thought I would resurrect that tragedy and make them some. I knew that it may be a task to find the pumpkin. It seems since last Thanksgiving it's been near impossible to find canned pumpkin. I work in retail and we were told it was because of  crop shortage. As I was leaving one day from work I thought I would check and by some miracle. WE HAD PUMPKIN! I bought 2 cans, which are already gone. It was some organic brand and it was awesome. I have recently placed and order for a few cases. I will totally buy 2 cases of the pumpkin to have it. Especially with the Holidays around the corner. Anyways, back to the cupcakes...

I found a recipe online (from marthastewart.com) for some Pumpkin Cupcakes that I used and didn't really change it too much, which is odd, but I wanted it to be perfect. I did, as always, add more cinnamon. Just a pinch more. I did try a few things however. I tried making different sizes and adding different toppings. All of which are pictured and expliained below. I was really looking for more of a muffin recipe but this one for cupcakes sounded just right. They were simply DELICIOUS! I topped them with my version of Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting and a sprinkle of cinnamon. I can NOT wait to make these again. Where's my pumpkin?! :)




Sizes:

Muffin: I was given a clay muffin pan (I can't wait to make popovers in it!) so I had to try and make the Pumpkin Cupcakes into a larger version.

Cupcake: Just a standard Cupcake.

Mini: These are perfect for sample.




Topping:

Crumble: I used the Martha Stewart Recipe, pre-baked version. I topped them halfway through baking. I didn't like the way it turned out. I will try something different next time.

Raw Sugar: I just wanted to add a little touch to the top.


No comments: