Sunday, October 10, 2010

Pumpkin Whoopie Pies



I wanted to try something different with pumpkin so I started searching the net. I came across this recipe. I decided to give them a try. I did alter a few things and used a Whipped Cream Cheese Filling instead of the recipe filling. They were a total hit! I decided I would share my version of the recipe. The photo I took (above) was voted the 2nd favorite photo on allrecipes.com on October 1st!! I was only 4 votes behind the winner. Made me so happy!




So here is my take on the pies. I included the recipe for the Whipped Cream Cheese Filling. Enjoy!



Pumpkin Whoopie Pies        [Printable Recipe]
Recipe make just over a dozen pies
Ingredients
  • 2 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 15 oz can solid pack pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
  • dash of nutmeg

Filling
  • 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 stick butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 3 - 4 cups powdered sugar
  • 3/4 cup whipping cream
  • 2 tablespoon sugar

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease baking sheets.
  2. Combine the oil and brown sugar. Mix in the pumpkin, eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla beating well. Sift the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Add flour mixture to pumpkin mixture. Mix well. Let batter sit for at least 5 minutes.
  3. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons (1-2 tablespoon cookie scoop) onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 10 to 12 minutes. Let cookies cool then make sandwiches from two cookies filled with Whoopie Pie Filling.
  4. To Make Whoopie Pie Filling: Cream butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth. Add the powdered sugar a cup at a time and beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese frosting. Put the filling into a decorating bag to pipe it onto the whoopie pie.



      No comments: