Monday, February 4, 2013

Simple Homemade Pasta Sauce - A quick dinner idea.



Life continues to be busy around my little world. While I am a big cook and I love it, there are nights I just don't have the time or energy. With simple and quick recipes like the one I share now, it makes it much easier to cook on those extra busy days. I am aiming at making more simple and quick meals for myself. No more of that fast food or pre-made meals. I figured with the busy schedule being a common thing, I might as well share my adventure and the recipes. 


If there is one meal I can never tire of, it's pasta and a nice red sauce. Normally I will go the extra mile and use fresh tomatoes, my Grandmother's fresh canned tomato juice, and red wine (to name a few ingredients). This process is normally a good hour, on a quick night, or two hours when time allows. I decided to take it a notch down and create a very simple and very quick red sauce. It's not packed with the normal pop of flavor, but it is certainly delicious! Furthermore, this is a great recipe for those who cook for one (that's me!) because it yields 2 servings of sauce. Well, probably 3-4 servings, but I LOVE my pasta covered in sauce. haha 


A simple list of ingredients are needed for this dish. The above photo shows the core ingredients but I also used 1 medium onion, 1 clove of garlic, and some herbs/spices. I try to keep a few cans of tomatoes and the sauce in the cabinet for these moments. Also, there is ALWAYS pasta in my cabinet, usually a few different types, and I recommend you do the same! Pasta is so versatile from a nice red sauce to a simple toss of some olive oil and veggies. It's my favorite ingredient!!

As far as herbs go I went simple. I used dry Oregano and dry Basil. I was once told part of a good sauce is covering the top with oregano and letting it cook without stirring it in right away. So, I've been doing that in the red sauces I make. I did not measure how much I put it but you can see from the picture how "covered" I made the top. I only sprinkled a small amount of basil on top, around 1/2 teaspoon.



Once the oregano starts to cook into the sauce, I give it a good stir. I had some Kalamata Olives in the fridge so I figured why not toss some in. It worked quite well in the end product. I didn't add any extra salt to the recipe so the olives kind of give that nice salty POP. You can leave the olives out and it will still be just as tasty. 





The reason this dish is so quick is because the sauce is being made during the time of boiling the water and cooking the pasta. It worked out perfectly! I highly recommend picking this simple dish instead of that pre-made store bought meal or worse, fast food. Homemade is the way to eat everyday! haha

And now, I stop blabbering and you start cooking...here's the recipe...



Simple Homemade Pasta Sauce                 [Printable Recipe]

Ingredients:

1 cup uncooked pasta
2 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium onion
1 clove of garlic
pepper
1 14.5 oz can of petite tomatoes
1 8 oz can of tomato sauce
4 oz water
Oregano, dry
Basil, dry


Directions:

1. Start water for pasta. Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan. Place the onion, chopped, in the pan and cook until lightly browned. Add the garlic and pepper (to taste) the last few minutes of cooking.
2. Pour in tomatoes and tomato sauce. Fill the sauce can halfway (about 4 oz) with water and add to pan. Stir well.
3. Sprinkle Oregano over the sauce to lightly cover. Add a light sprinkle of Basil.
4. When water is boiling, cook pasta as directed. Allow the sauce to cook until the herbs begin to mix in. 
5. Stir occasionally until pasta is done.
6. Dish pasta and top with sauce and Parmesan. Enjoy!

No comments: