Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Apple Cranberry Muffin Tippy-Tops


Whether you have it set to music or an annoying sound I'm sure we all dread it just the same…the alarm clock. I especially hate it during these winter months. All I want to do is stay snuggled up in bed where it's warm. 

Since I can't do that all the time, I keep my mind in a happy place with coffee and treats to wake up to. It helps. There really is nothing better to wake up to than a nice hot, slightly sweet cappuccino and a spicy, slightly sweet breakfast on these winter days. If you can't tell, I don't like the cold. You think by this time in my life (I've grown up here in Indiana) that I'd be used to it by now. I'm not. I survive because I love my winter coat and scarf. haha Coffee in hand and I'm ready to tackle the day, most of the time. ;-)



To accompany my coffee I always have some kind of breakfast. These Apple Cranberry Muffin Tippy-Tops are a perfect accompaniment to coffee on a cold winter day. With their warm spice blend and toasty bits of apple and cranberry, they warm your soul and hands as you indulge. Just like the Banana Maple Muffin Tippy-Tops these are the perfect breakfast on the go. They also freeze well and pop in the toaster easily. 

Without further ado…





















Apple Cranberry Muffin Tippy-Tops
adapted from: goodlifeeats.com


Makes: 24 tippy-tops

Ingredients:

4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup old fashioned oats, heaping
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
3 teaspoons baking power 
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
4 heaping teaspoons cinnamon
3 dashes allspice
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
4 eggs
2 cups buttermilk or substitute
2 sticks (1 cup) butter, melted and cooled
4 large GrannySmith apples, finely cut
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 pecans

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 and grease muffin top/whoopie pie pan.
2. In the bowl of a mixer whisk together the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl combine the eggs, buttermilk and butter.
4. Lightly mix the wet ingredients into the dry. Fold in the apples just until mixed in. 
5. Fold in the cranberries and pecans just until mixed in.
6. Spoon into pans evenly and bake 10-12 minutes.
7. Serve warm and enjoy!

No comments: