Friday, January 28, 2011

Edamame & Mushroom Risotto


Today I bring another Italian inspired dish. Risotto! 

This dish is one that I'd been planning on making for days, but for one reason or another, it didn't happen. The dish also took a slightly different direction while I was in the kitchen with the addition of Edamame.


I recently started reading Eat, Pray, Love. Let me just say that I didn't want the first part of the book, Elizabeth's travels through Italy, to end! I could have read an entire book on her adventures while she was there. As if I didn't want to be there enough already, she makes me want to go even more! The first chapter is all about pleasure, the pleasure of eating whatever passes. She talks about food like it's gold. I can only imagine being in Italy and having that fine cuisine within walking distance all the time. People always give me crap for being so skinny. Let me just say that I'm sure I'd gain some weight if I spent some time in Italy! Can we say GELATO!

Anyway, back to the risotto. This dish was inspired by one of my favorite local places to eat, Casa. I had found a few pasta dishes, Pasta Con Verdura or Rigatoni Bianco, that I just loved and I would always get one of those two. Finally one night I met my dearest aunt and uncle out for dinner and decided, with a little help from my aunt, to try something new! Risotto Alberto was my choice. It has mushroom, onion, zucchini, and asparagus just to list a few ingredients. I was slightly nervous to try because I hadn't had asparagus before. Well, I've had asparagus that was from a can. Yes, it ruined the idea of ever eating again. But I thought why not give it a try! And let me say I'm SO glad I did try it. It's been my pasta dish of choice lately.

Now, this risotto was the second one I've made. The first time I made it from a recipe by Ina Garten. It was delicious but this time around I wanted mushrooms and I didn't have any mascarpone in the house so I used sour cream.

It was my intention to do just a mushroom risotto but I had a duh! moment. For some reason I thought a small package of baby portabellas was enough. After I had the baby bellas ready I realized they weren't going to be enough. That's when I discovered, yes I always forget what I have around the house, the frozen edamame. I simply followed the instructions for boiling the edamame and added it to the risotto at the same time I did the mushrooms.


I feel like I need to point out the rice that is used for risotto. I've told a few people about the dish and they were just like "Oh it's just a rice dish right?" Boy did they get a slight lesson in pasta! Risotto can be made with a few different types of rice, none of them being white rice that we all know, I have used Arborio rice both times I've made risotto. Now, I have seen recipes that use white rice, but I don't think that'll I'll give it a try because the Arborio works perfect! Arborio is also readily available at the grocery store. The key to making risotto is the slow cooking process. You add a cup of broth at a time and allow the rice to absorb each cup before adding another. It does take some time but trust me when I say it is well worth the effort! 


And so....
After a tedious, but oh so worth it adventure in the kitchen I bring to you today the delectable and savory Edamame & Mushroom Risotto...






Edamame & Mushroom Risotto     [Printable Version]

Ingredients:

  • 7 cups chicken broth, low sodium
  • 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • 1 medium onion, diced & divided
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced & divided
  • 8 oz fresh baby portobello mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons butter, unsalted
  • 2 cups Arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup vodka
  • 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • salt & pepper

Directions:

  1. Heat the chicken broth and keep warm over low heat.
  2. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, for about 5 minutes, 1/2 onion and 1 garlic clove.
  3. Add the mushrooms, thyme, and butter. Saute for about 5 minutes until light brown. Season with salt & pepper. Set aside.
  4. In a large saucepan heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute the remaining 1/2 onion and garlic clove. And the rice and stir quickly until it is coated and opaque, about 2 minutes.
  5. Stir in vodka and cook until it's nearly all evaporated.
  6. With a ladle add 1 cup of the broth to the rice and cook, stirring, until the rice has absorbed the broth.
  7. Continue to add 1 cup of broth at a time. Allow the rice to absorb after each addition. The risotto should cook until slightly firm and creamy.
  8. While the risotto cooks, prepare the edamame according the package instructions for boiling.
  9. When risotto is cooked add the mushrooms and edamame to the rice. Stir to combine.
  10. Stir in sour cream and parmesan. Cook just until the cheese is melted. Serve while hot. Enjoy.


No comments: