Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Almond Joy Pie


Sometimes I feel like a nut…sometimes I don't. In the case of desserts, I'm always a nut. 



When a friend shared this recipe with me I was a little apprehensive to get too excited about it (I'm moody when it comes to chocolate). However, after a quick glance at the recipe I realized I was ALL for it, but I needed to make a few adjustments. 

First and foremost, this goes back to my chocolate moddy-ness, I did not like the idea of an Oreo crust. I like Oreos on occasion, but it's rare. Unless it's mint Oreo, I will DEVOUR those little guys! I debating for a few days on how to change the crust while not adding in another flavor or take away from the idea of the Almond Joy candy bar. What better way to do so than using a simple shortbread crust? None, because it worked perfect! 

Another noticeable adjustment I made was the amount of almond in the pie. This is a time I feel like a nut. ;-) I personally don't think the Almond Joy candy bar has enough almond! So, I added slivered almonds into the pie filling, along with more coconut, and almond extract. Aside from those two adjustments the only thing extra I did was set aside a little coconut and almonds to toast and finish off the pie. I'd have to say this really comes in as a top pie recipe for me. It is DEliciouSSSS! 

Here are a few photos I snapped throughout the process of this pie:


Melt half the chocolate chips. While they melt cover bottom of pie crust with a layer of sliced almonds.
Once chocolate is melted pour over almonds and smooth out. Freeze for about 5 minutes.
Pour filling mixture in the pie shell and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
Allow to cool.
Once pie is cool, top melted chocolate, toasted almonds and coconut. 

Go get cookin'! You won't' be disappointed. I promise!


Almond Joy Pie                     [Printable Recipe]
recipe adapted from http://lalabliss.blogspot.com

Ingredients:

Filling:
4 Tbls butter
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbls all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1 (7 oz) package sweetened coconut - set aside 1/4 cup
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Crust:
1 (6 oz) shortbread pie crust (I used Keebler)
1 bag milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Directions:

Pre-heat oven to 350º

1. Melt half the chocolate chips. While they melt cover bottom of pie crust with a layer of sliced almonds, 1/4 cup. Once chocolate is melted pour over almonds and smooth out. Freeze for about 5 minutes.
2. In a medium bowl whisk together all filling ingredients except the coconut and almonds. Stir in coconut and almonds. 
3. Pour filling mixture in the pie shell and bake for 40-45 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool.
4. While the pie cools, combine remaining almonds and 1/4 cup coconut in a sauté pan until light toasted. Set aside.
5. Once pie is cool/room temperature, melt the remaining chocolate and pour over cooled pie. Top with toasted almonds and coconut. Serve at room temperature. Store left over (if there is any) in the fridge. 

No comments: