Thursday, May 3, 2012

Baked Mac & Cheese w Bacon & Caramelized Onions



Tonight I bring you a short entry but a delicious recipe! This is by far the best macaroni and cheese I've made, so far, on my journey to find the perfect baked mac and cheese.

About a week ago I got a little jealous that a friend of mine made Baked Mac and Cheese and I wasn't there to eat it! The next day, oddly enough, I got one of my daily email subscriptions for recipes and there were the top 7 recipes for baked mac and cheese. I figured it must be time for me to get back in the kitchen and "do my thing". So I did. Here's what I came up with. I changed a few things from the original recipe, or course. :-) Enjoy!



Baked Mac and Cheese w Bacon and Caramelized Onions
via: thedreamdaycafe.com

Yields: 8x8 dish

Ingredients:

2 cups dry macaroni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sour cream
1 egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup milk
8 oz grated Asiago 
2 cups grated Sharp Cheddar 
1 medium onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
pepper
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1/3 cup Panko bread crumbs
8 slices bacon

Directions:

1. Prepare bacon as normal and discard the grease. Chop and set aside.
2. Add 1 Tbsp of butter and sauté the onions and garlic. After they've cooked for a few minutes add brown sugar. Set aside.
3. In a pot boil water and cook pasta.
4. In a large bowl whisk the milks, egg, sour cream, remaining butter, salt, pepper, and red pepper.
5. Stir in cheeses reserving just enough to top the dish. About 1/4 cup of each. Mix leftover cheese with Panko bread crumbs and set aside. 
5. Once the pasta is cooked drain and add to the cheese/liquid mixture. Mix in bacon pieces. 
6. Top with cheese/Panko mixture and bake for 30 minutes at 400ºF.

No comments: