Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Beef & Vegetable Stew


Today I bring you a simple post with a simple recipe. While this recipe may be simple to make, it's by far the BEST beef stew I have had thus far in my life. 



I created this recipe based on a beef roast I had made before and a few other recipes I had found online gave me some added ideas. One thing I liked most about one recipe I found online was the addition of wine. With the addition of wine I could have a classic beef stew with an added twist. I thought it sounded perfect.



Another thing I decided to try was the McCormick Grinder Italian Seasoning. I use their Pepper Medley ALL the time. So, for this recipe, I decided to just use the Italian blend grinder rather than using various herbs and spices. I will definitely be using this again. I think it added the perfect flavor to the stew.

The inspiration behind this dish was simple, a Bestie Night in the Fall. My Aunt and I try to work a Bestie Night in at least once a month. She invites her best friend and I invite mine. We decided this time, for the kick off of Fall, we would do a simple night in at my place. I figured a soup or stew would fit perfect for the night. We ended up having a Casa (local resturaunt) salad, the Beef stew, and some Italian Roasted Potato Medley. Oh, and we managed to have a very fun night full of laughter. The meal went over VERY well. I think we all enjoyed it a lot, enough to have seconds! :-)

Enjoy the recipe!





Beef & Vegetable Stew           [Printable Recipe]
via: thedreamdaycafe.com

Cook time: 2 1/2 hours
Prep: 30 minutes
Servings: About 10 - 2 cup serving


Ingredients:

  • 3 T Olive Oil
  • 3 T Butter
  • 1/3 Cup Flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon Salt
  • 3-4 pounds beef stew meat
  • 1 bottle of red wine (Burgundy, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon)
  • 2 teaspoons McCormick Grinder, Italian seasoning
  • 3 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped
  • 4 Cups Beef Broth
  • 1 Large Onion
  • 1 bag Baby Carrots
  • 1 Cup Frozen Peas
  • 1 Cup Frozen Corn
  • 1 Cup Frozen Green Beans
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Direction:

  1. In a large pan heat oil and butter.
  2. In a large bowl whisk the flour, salt, and pepper. Add beef and toss until coated.
  3. In two batches brown the beef. It's important to do it in two batches to get an even browning on the beef.
  4. Remove the beef and set aside on a plate. Slowly add the bottle of wine to the pan and cook until heated, not quite boiling. 
  5. Add the beef, Italian season, salt, pepper, garlic, and beef stock. Cook on medium/high until stew begins to a boil.
  6. Reduce heat to low/medium and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 1/2 hours. 
  7. While stew cooks prepare vegetables. Set aside.
  8. After the 1 1/2 hours add the vegetables and cook for another hour.
  9. Serve while hot and Enjoy!


No comments: