Friday, August 12, 2011

Single Serving: Asian Chicken over Ginger Cilantro Rice


This dish is a take on a favorite recipe of mine, Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps. I know that I've mentioned this before, but Red Ginger is one of my favorite restaurants. I first tried Asian Chicken Wraps there. Unfortunately, there is no Red Ginger closet Fort Wayne. However, lucky for me (and now you) someone worked out the recipe and I tracked it down online (sorry I don't remember where I found this recipe!). I've made the wraps a few times and I decided to change it up a little. The wrap recipe uses ground chicken and a few different ingredients and the vegetables are more minced than diced. With this recipe I used chicken tenders and then shredded them. I also added green pepper, green onion, and left the vegetables more diced than minced. Also, I served the chicken over some Ginger Cilantro Rice. I tried to make this a single serving, but you really do get two healthy portions from the recipe. Which for me, worked just right because it took care of dinner and then lunch the next day. ;-)

*Note* - I will admit that I'm not a huge fan of Minute Rice, but I certainly didn't want to take the time to cook up a single serving of rice. I really think that the dish as a whole works really well and I could look past the Minute Rice. 

Ginger Cilantro Rice

To make the rice I simply followed the directions on the box, but cut one serving in half. After the rice is added to the boiling water to set I added the ginger and about 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro. The ginger is all to your taste. I personally like a ginger flavor, yet want it all to be balanced. This dish would also be just as good over plain white rice.





Asian Chicken         [Printable Recipe]


Ingredients:
  • 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 chicken breast tenders
  • 1/2 onion, diced
  • 1/2 green pepper, diced
  • 1 glove of garlic, minced
  • 1 cup diced mushrooms
  • 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
  • 1 Tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 Tablespoon green onion, finely chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons soy sauce
  • 2 Tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoon hoisin sauce
  • 2 Tablespoon water
  • 2 teaspoons sugar (optional)

Directions:

  1. Combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar, hoisin sauce, and sugar in a small bowl and mix. Set aside.
  2. Warm 2 Tablespoons oil in a saute pan and add chicken. Cook chicken until completely cooked, set aside.
  3. Saute onion (not green onion) and green pepper in pan until onions are almost translucent. Add garlic and mushrooms.
  4. Add the ginger, cilantro, green onion and cook for 4-5 minutes.
  5. Add sauce and stir. Cook for just a few minutes and add the water. 
  6. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really sounds wonderful and it is so nice to see recipes for smaller quantities. I'm new to your blog but love what I've seen. I'll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chadi said...

Thank you Mary for your kind words! I like being able to take recipes and make them work in smaller quantities. It's been a busy few weeks so I'm hoping to be back in the kitchen working on some new recipes here within a few days. Thanks again for stopping by! Have a great day!