Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Doggie Delights! Mini Bonz


Today I bring the debut of Doggie Delights! 

This first recipe I have to share still needs a little work, but they did turn out and Cooper just loves them!

First I would like to start with an introduction…

Meet Cooper.

This is Cooper shortly after he came to his new home. 
Below is a picture of him just a few days ago. Needless to say, he's GROWN just a little. 

A little treat persuasion for this photo!
Cooper has to be the best dog ever and I can't say how much I truly love this pup. He's brought so much joy to the house I can't imagine not having him around. Now, my love for this pup well kinda makes him a little spoiled. :) But, I don't think there is a dang thing wrong with it!! I can't wait till Spring gets here so we can be outside more and he can get to run. We both need some exercise! It's been a lazy winter.

Now, on to the recipe… This recipe is the third one I've tried. One was a total fail and I threw the whole mess away. The second one I used I've actually made a few times. Cooper loves them, but I wanted to try something different. 

I found a base recipe that caught my eye out of the 10 million I looked at. One thing that stood out to me in the recipe was the addition of baby food. I just used the recipe as a guide and changed it up. I took a few ingredients out because I didn't think the extra sodium was needed. I also added some baking soda because I didn't want them to be a solid rock for Cooper to eat. I think he really liked the other treats I made because they on the soft side. 

I also choose to use 2 different size treat cutters. I think they measure around 1 and 1 1/2 inches. I was going for something small because Cooper get quite a few treats and I wanted try and have some more control over the size. 

Now, I don't know if it was something I did or if it was just the way it was supposed to turn out, but the dough was a little frustrating to work with. I couldn't get it to easily roll out so I could cut the treats out. I did manage to make it work with some extra effort. This is the reason I think the recipe still needs some work. 

They did, however, baked great and Cooper absolutely loves the treats. It's safe to say they get the paws up review, or at least a shake from the pup! :) Also, I don't know an exact amount of treats the recipe makes. I lost count after 100. Keep in mind, they were small treats.




















Here's the recipe!

Mini Bonz (Homemade Dog Treats)


Ingredients:

1 Egg
1 jar baby food (I used Chicken & Vegetable)
1 Tablespoon Honey
1/2 Cup Powdered Milk
2 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Directions:

1. Beat the egg, baby food, and honey until combined.
2. In a bowl whisk together dry ingredients. 
3. Slowly add the flour to the egg mixture. Alternate between the water and flour until all is combined. Note: I had to finish mixing with my hands.
4. Roll out on a floured surface and cut desired shapes. 
5. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 350. 


I hope to be working on more treats that I will share! Check back soon!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think this is terrific. I mean after all we know just how important our doggie puppies are to the house and our lives. Besides love and play what better way to show them how much but through their tumm tumms!!!